PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2014, 11:57
Mr A Tis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
750XL
OK I'll bite. (BTW 37 years airport experience)
Firstly, there was at least 12 hours notice that diverts were possible.
Secondly, you mention narrowbodies night stopping on wide bodied stands- so with the known potential, there was 12 hours to plan alternative parking.
Thirdly, it's the inconsistancy. CX - sorry no stands, then when established on a divert elsewhere told they could come---but too late. American told no no stands & ends up at Dublin, but then half hour later American 767 accepted & stand found.
I've no doubt the entire problem is the shoe string staffing situation, with zero contingency. To be fair, why would a hard pressed shoe string run office, running stretched on normal ops put themselves out for diversions?.
30 years ago MAN had a can do attitude run by passionate airport people. Sadly it's now just a business run by accountants.
I have nothing but admiration for the shop floor people who work there these days under such poor conditions.
I'm not sure what the answer is, but MAN certainly at times, portrays itself as less than world class. However, it's not just MAN, even the biggies like Frankfurt have provided me with some memorable dreadful experiences.
Surely we have now reached the bottom of aircraft handling costs?
MAN used to have a diversion cell in the winter, operated by the airport authority- with different levels of alert. Diversions possible, Diversions imminant etc, they co-ordinated Apron control, agents, airlines, refuelers etc & maximised resources.

Last edited by Mr A Tis; 15th Feb 2014 at 12:08.