PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FISOs - what are they for?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2003, 01:56
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'll rise to Shaggy's defence here (whilst not totally damning the lads n lasses in Barton's hallowed tower)..

Barton used to be good for R/T . Concise stuff, very relevant to its "at your discretion" status. Those who have only known it as it is now wouldn't know it from days of yore. Both SSD and myself have flown from the place long enough to notice the difference.

It's snot that Barton's R/T is over-officous or overstepping its authority ....the advisories are given out in a friendly enough manner, so I would not kick 'em for that..

It's just that there are too many "instructions" given out which any pilot versed in operating from Barton (or indeed any other small airfield) knows already.

So, wheras "before", a visitor to Barton would get some advisories on a RH turnoff the active and where to park, now everyone gets them - when the majority already know the score.

I think over time, this can lead to a certain amount of "dumbing down" and "chatter fatigue" from the pilots side (e.g. students getting over dependent on a radio service which tells them everything, or pilots unconciously shutting out the clutter and then risking missing something important).

IMHO it would be better if the AFISOs got a little more concise and gave some of the less important information only when requested - and applied some knowledge of who and what is flying/landing/taxying.

That way, they would hear more and see more - and could give information when it was really needed rather than all the time. At the present, it's difficult to get a 5 second position call in for all the relatively superfluous stuff that one hears.

Do we want to wait 1 minute when the donk stops before anyone knows that we're in trouble? At 800 feet, that ain't much time...

The alternative would be to have separate "tower" and "ground" frequencies