PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is the next cull at QF Engineering?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2014, 00:42
Silverado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTP Thanks for that!

Considering that this is the first post and title of this thread

When is the next cull at QF Engineering?

Now that the non-event of the $6M profit has been announced as well as the flight re-shuffle, when is the next round of blood letting to begin?

Rumours are already rife that 200 will go in November, no doubt to coincide with the new schedule.

Uncle Chandra and his band of merry men are willing to take as much work from Australia as Tony and Chris will let him.

744 work will shift from SYD to BNE and 330s will be done wherever and whenever they land.

CAT A licencing is about to pick up and overtake all other training, tug drivers are also willing to hop on and fix an aircraft, because as QF sees them, most of them already have 2 years or more in the industry.
The changes in QF Engineering very much affect me!

SP's comment while true, doesn't present the facts, it's more scaremongering that I'd normally see from an internet troll.

TL and CN have 2 issues to contend with before they could offshore all Qantas maintenance;

1. The Qantas Sale Act

2. The fact that many Qantas aircraft don't leave the country, and all of them pass through Australia on a regular basis.

They can (and may) outsource all the Line maintenance. But the lions share of it will be done in Australia by people employed in Australia. It appears that there are many job losses and changes afoot in line and at least for the LAME population, if it's not LOFO then anyone without a 738, A330 or A380 licence can kiss their job at QF good bye.

Base maintenance on the other hand can be fully off shored, but again the QSA may hinder them at this stage. It looks from my perspective, that the Base maintenance changes will now settle for at least the medium term. (Its been very sad to see AVV and MEL go).