PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2014, 16:13
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, is the very good feedback given by the operators and the order book fill still next year, a good explanation to say that their choice of engine was not as bad as you had stipulated ?
No, it is not. Especially as it is not your explanation - which I was asking for - why it was a good choice. Back in the old days, Eastern Germans where cueing up to buy that plastic Trabant car. Great sales is not necessarily a sign of engineering quality.

The "stupid" Bruno Guimbal gives two reasons for that choice, weight and cost.
Here, I have to lean out of the window and claim: He is lying.

If he were right, then back in the last century Schweizer/Sikorsky would have decided just for the fun of ruining revenue and performance to modify their 300CB (carburated) training heli to a "heavier, more expensive" ((c)Bruno) 300CBi (FI) successor.
I don't buy that.
I'd need to see serious data to back that claim.

You mean, if I have to choose between a brand new G2 and a brand new H300 ?
No. If you actually read what I asked you, you might find that I was inquiring if YOU would want to swap an FI engine in favour of an carbureted one, everything unchanged. Let me rephrase that question once again:

Given the ficticious chance, would you personally want to "upgrade" your ficticious heli's FI engine to a similarly powered carburated one, just from the technical point of view, lets assume someone else would be paying...?

If yes, please elaborate why.

Last edited by Reely340; 13th Feb 2014 at 18:40.