PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Sudan any1? What to buy before?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 11:47
JTrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheer up, foxcotte, and you just might get a postcard next year

in the end there are 100 caravans flying in sudan

thanks one more time you guys and time to do my homework now

There are not 100 Caravans flying in Sudan.

Here is a brief rundown of foreign C208 operators working in S. Sudan that I am aware of.

From Uganda: Asante (2-3?), KEA (1?), ASL (1-2?)

From CAR: None

From DRC: None

From Kenya: Several of various UN contracts, do not have the names.

From South Africa: Suspect there may be a few ZS Caravans (or similar such as a PAC750 or LET 410s or King Airs) in the neighborhood

From Sudan: Not aware of any but perhaps.

From S. Sudan: Hoping somebody can fill in the blanks on this one.

*Note there will likely be numerous AN-2s, -12s, -24s, -26s, and -32s flying around for dodgy Eastern European/S. Sudanese operators, plus a few LET 410s thrown in for good measure, along with the obligatory MI-8/17s and perhaps an MI-26. The one ton your Caravan can haul is NOTHING compared to what these folks can take, and they can do it significantly cheaper than you.

Artlite - With due respect, be careful. You don't know what you don't know - which makes your operation all the more risky. Heck, your first flight in a C208 will likely be in S. Sudan. That is not the place to be learning a new airplane.

Other contract operators who are operating there have been doing that type of flying for years. They have pilots who know the area, know the local languages, the customs, and how to get things done. They have engineers who know how to get things done on a dusty ramp, plus who have a support network back at their company's home base and can get whatever they need sourced within a reasonable time frame. They have flight operations personnel who know how to deal with the bureaucracy, get the appropriate permits, deal with customs and other issues.

For what its worth, before I first showed up in Africa, I did not spend 2000-3000 Euros on equipment BECAUSE MY COMPANY HAD THE AIRPLANE PROPERLY KITTED OUT. I might've spend 100 Euros or so on the smaller personal things - immodium, anti-malarial pills, etc. If you are flailing around for a satellite phone or GPS or map - it only shows how your operation is NOT prepared to do the job. Do you even know how to use a sat phone? (plus ensure that it has credit).

You give the impression that this is all some new fun-and-games African safari for you. Do you have any idea of what is happening in SOUTH Sudan right now.

Good luck.

Last edited by JTrain; 11th Feb 2014 at 13:31.