PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA downgrades India's aviation safety ranking
Old 11th Feb 2014, 07:07
Wannabe Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maid in Manhattan does not seem to want to go away primarily due to the understanding or lack of it between both parties. No inside knowledge except for the information and real life experience living in both places.

1) Maid went willingly and accepted conditions and pay and has not stated cruelty or slavery yet charges are filed under human trafickking and not under any less stringent act in the USA.

2) Common known fact for many here in India that this route is the best immigration route and ticket for a green card for the less qualified.

3) She was a live in maid and that is very hard to calculate her actual working hours. Also a common practice that all ask for money to be given at home and in most cases many aspects of their children's up bringing are often time footed by the family as well as many other expenses.

My Opinion: yes the law was violated by this diplomat as is being done by many others, however unlike claims of torture and in appropriate behaviour none have been levelled and yet a human trafficking charge vs a smaller mis demeanour charge of underpaying help has been taken, which stinks of something more. The US law does permit such exemptions on a case by case basis. This is compounded by the fact that their immediate family was evacuated from India citing harassment in total contravention of a democratic and legal system. Therefore if the USA cannot respect Indian legal systems i think there is no obligation for vice versa.

The publicity of this immigration route has now opened the doors for many more to do the same and I feel the US government should investigate the reality besides the wage issue on the entire issue and see if the person who has immigrated has been entirely truthful about her intentions.

Lesson to be learned: Hire the illegal immigrant in the USA itself and do not carry them with you. If caught you will be let of on a lesser penalty............. Case in point so many US senators......

Now back to the latest repercussion which I had predicted a few posts earlier

Boeing Says Air India Unhappy With 787 Dreamliner?s Reliability - Bloomberg

Air India to seek compensation from Boeing - The Times of India

An open threat to cancel the remaining aircraft orders as fuel consumption is 28% and not 37% lower than a 777...... Sounds like skewed logic to cancel a savings but then again this issue is definitely maid in Manahattan!