PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cherokee or Tecnam?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 16:23
smarthawke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the quoted accident list would make more of an argument if there were details of pilot experience included. An aircraft type cannot be blamed for pilot short comings...

The first time I flew a Eurostar (80hp), I was amazed at how much rudder pedal force was required to keep on the straight and narrow. At the time I owned (and was very current) on a 200hp CS prop RV-6 - and the rudder force was much more than that required for the RV.

I suspect that all Rotax powered singles require a decent amount of rudder input on the take off roll. I've only flown the EV97 (1 hr), Tecnam P2002-JF (20 hrs) and RV-12 60 hrs). It is a very torquey motor as far as yaw with power is concerned.

Certainly a cross wind from the right is preferable to one from the right but it isn't an issue if you know the aircraft - and can fly accurately.

Regarding the vision - okay so the windscreen hoop in the P2002JF obscures the view out more than with the Eurostar or the RV-12. But it is strong (heavy duty roll bar is behind the head on the RV-12). Still better than a PA28 or Cessna though.

Regarding costs, the P2002JF is a fully certified aircraft - VLA not an LSA or RTC. There is cost involved in that certification.