PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian A320neo order
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 10:33
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As any of you based in Gatwick may know, the Norwegian crewroom is just opposite easyJet's. I would have to agree that easyJet's uniforms are rubbish compared to Norwegian's. The NAS crews look really well turned out in smart, attractive uniforms and it is absolutely true that easyJet pilots are roaming around in plastic jackets - I wore one only yesterday myself! And yes, Norwegian have posh leather seats and wi-fi (albeit one that does not work very well). The problem they are facing is that their costs are out of control. For example, that little white bump on their 737 fuselage with all the wi-fi gubbins in it would cost around 1% in a fuel penalty - that is a catastrophic loss for any airline given the margins. We have looked at the wi-fi issue and the basic problem we face is that wi-fi technology around Europe is not advanced enough to provide a credible in-flight service, as NAS are experiencing. What we will not do is take on naff technology that puts an intolerable burden on our fuel costs. NAS may indeed be having a successful long haul entry from Gatwick, but easyJet does not care about that. The bottom line is that NAS are haemorrhaging money at a rate that is not sustainable when they have to take on established players like easyJet and Ryanair. They are absolutely cut throat with their employees and they are going to have enormous difficulty attracting the necessary experienced pilots to run their Airbus operation. By that I am not talking about 200 hour wonder-kids desperate to spend more of their parents' money on an Airbus rating and line training. I am talking about TREs and the like who currently have good jobs in airlines such as easyJet, Thomas Cook, Monarch etc. Why on earth would they leave a comfy existence and go to a company who will pay them less money, offer less security and potentially move them at a moment's base to some Viking land they do not want to live in? They would have to offer a massive financial inducement to go, and I do not see that happening. Again, even if they did, the only people who would risk it are people with less than 5 years to go and who could take the short term gain against the long term uncertainty. They are a high risk company and anyone leaving the likes of easyJet to join them would be making a huge step into the unknown. The bottom line is that they are making a massive expansion at a time when all the other big players are being more cautious. Time will tell who is right, but I do not see it ending well.