PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cherokee or Tecnam?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 22:33
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice scenery, LJ. I'm afraid we can't match that green around here this time of year. Unfortunately, I don't think the fish-eye image fairly conveys the pilot view from the Tecnam, in that neither the side nor top sight lines are evident. But I'm not photographer enough to know how to do that in one shot.

I have flown a Sportstar, which I think is the same model as the Eurostar sold in the UK and Europe. Not sure if the Sportstar we see in Australia has the aileron modification made by the manufacturer to increase the crosswind handling. I enjoyed flying the aircraft but thought the general handling was not as crisp as the P2002 and, in choosing an aircraft, I was also attracted to the beefier roll protection on the Tecnam.

I was also concerned by the reported nosewheel fragility, in that those local LSA training accidents I mentioned earlier were on Sportstars. And reading the incident reports from around the world seemed to indicate a bit of a pattern. However, I didn't put a lot of store by the nosewheel issue, for the reasons to do with the GA to LSA transition I mentioned before. But I did make a mental note that the P2002s on line locally had not had similar issues.

I'm not sure how you equate rudder required on takeoff to poor rudder authority. I regularly fly a P2002 JF to at least the published crosswind limits with no issues. Nose swing on takeoff can be due to a number of factors, most obviously including (in a tricycle configuration) slipstream effects and engine orientation choices. If you declared this characteristic to be your show-stopper, you'd miss the fun of some of the best-handling classic aircraft around.

We all make our choices and for my part I've enjoyed the LSA/VLA experimentation. Coming in just as a PPL with no axe to grind, it's been a good excuse to go flying.

I guess the OP has taken away the recommendation to try out the possibilities before making a final decision.