PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Sudan any1? What to buy before?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 21:52
takopalayak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Sudan

Hey Artlite. S. Sudan is not the best place to head to right now, but I am sure you know that. We got pulled out of there due to security situation.
I second the comments on malaria. Make sure you educate yourself, and go to reputable LOCAL doctor. The good one is Kuel Clinic on Airport Road in Juba. Our engineer, myself and several other pilots spend days under the drip there with good results. The first time is the worst and I knew several healthy Westerners who didn't make it. Flying into Juba is interesting at best and scary at worst. One guy is trying to control the ground , tower, and approach. Try to become his friend, or he will make your life miserable. One runway , so everybody has to backtrack, often with another a/c on short final. Watch for potholes, gravel on the apron and jet blast - lots of rocks flying into engines, props and windshields.
There is no radar anywhere. Lots of traffic and many don't have working transponders. TCAS is helpful, but dont relay on it to save you. Always know where everybody else is. Flying in Hubbab is like diving in chocolate milk, but most guys still pretend to be VFR. Many local heroes are lying about their position to get the landing clearance ahead of you.
Try to fly at least above 5000ft . That will keep you safe from AKs. The Toyota pick up mounted .50cals are also very popular and you need to be above 10000ft to feel good about yourself. I have seen ZSU23-4 protecting tanks as well. I am sure they have more modern stuff as well. Several aircraft have been shot at. UN MI8 was shot down by SPLA not too long ago (by mistake). We escape bombing run by two Mig 29s by a few minutes at one of the northern strips .
I am sure you have a good reason to go there. However I would rather not myself. And I have spent 20 years flying in all sorts of “garden spots” in Africa. PM me if you have more questions. Powodzenia.