PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flood aid to the civil community
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 18:51
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
Hangarshuffle

You've hit it squarely on the head. There is legislation called the Civil Continguencies Act 2004 which states that Local Authorities have to make provision for emergencies. So, if the Local Authorities call in the military then, unless it is SAR or MRT (that are designated Category 1 Responders and funded), they will have failed to discharge the duties legally required of them.

I hear that the Services' Regional Liaison Officers were told to go to the Command set up to deal with the floods, only to be effectively rejected by the leaders as they didn't want to be seen to be failing.

That is why the military wasn't used in their 'back up role' for the recent fire strikes and why they are unlikely to be used this weekend (and there are lots of us on standby to cover just in case they do call us).

If they call us it is an admission of failure and all the political and future public-funding issues that would go with it. The Local Authorities would have to pay for us and lose future funding lines from central government - a lose-lose situation. Plus, I am sure that the British Army are chomping at the bit to get involved to justify themselves for SDSR15.

This is not a Con-Dem issue as it was just as bad under the Bliar and Broon.

All in my opinion of course

LJ