PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TIGER AIR PILOT strike notice
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 13:41
Beer Baron

Received 158 Likes on 51 Posts
I've got to say I'm astounded with the negative responses I've read on this thread. I believe the affected Tiger pilots deserve 100% support from the rest of the pilot body.
People are so quick to dig the boot in with talk of being the "worst paid narrow body pilots in the country" but here they are using smart and legal tactics to improve their conditions but others want to condem them.
The company has been bought by owners with (relatively) deep pockets, so now is absolutely the time to be making a wage/conditions claim. Given the plan is to double or triple the fleet size there are certainly the funds around to pay for your EBA claims.

The ex-89 crowd suggesting "we tried industrial action, it didn't work for us so it won't work for anyone" are naïve or arrogant to not see that the circumstances and laws are completely different here. Just because an approach did not pan out 25 years ago does not mean pilots in Australia must be happy with whatever rubbish their employer hands out forever onward.

And to the Virgin crew (or those pretending to be) attacking this action, you ought to realise this is the best possible scenario for your continued employment in the Virgin/Tiger group. The last thing you want is a ready, waiting and compliant body of pilots within your own airline group who'll happily do your flying on a lesser EBA. JB will certainly think twice about attempting to replace you with cheaper crew if said crew have proven to have an industrial backbone and know how to fight for a fair EBA.
You should be thanking your Tiger cousins.