PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Humour (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 06:50
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Apologies, only just discovered this thread and haven't time to start from the beginning right now, so I'm probably repeating old stories ?

Many, many, years ago a colleague was flying from Nairobi to Heathrow, close to Paris and that VOR spelled with all the vowels at least twice, and totally unpronouncable to all but the French. Something like Rambouilliet?

Radio quiet, until interrupted by - and here you must insert your own Aussie accent - quote " Paris Control ( or whatever it was, memory escapes me) this is Qantas 9, over Deejonn at one two, flt. level 330, estimating Ramb.....er, estimating Rambber ..... estimating Rambollox at four seven". " Er.. zaygenn Qantas?" "Jeez, I just told you, over Deejonn at one two, flt. level 330, estimating Rambollox at four seven."

And a very British voice came right back and said .." that's right Cobber, you tell them."

We've had reports of severe icing at your altitude - are you getting any?" Pilot: "Not even enough to make a Margarita!"
and the PanAm Captain who asked for a lower altitude due turbulence, and ATC asked him what sort of turbulence he was experiencing (light,moderate or severe, he meant) and PanAm replied with " well, I don't rightly know what sort of turbulence you might call it, but I've got white caps on my coffee ! "

Training at Latcc, Busy holding in the morning and having rattled off a diversion route to egcc, the reply in a wonderful southern drawl " can you say again after leave MERLY? Iwrite about as slow as I talk"
Heard something similar at LAX, where a controller was talking very quickly, eventually an American pilot said, in that Southern Drawl, 'Say, Loss Angelees Tower do you'all hear how slow ah tawk ? Waal, that's how slow ah think - say aggen, slooowwwly.

Sorry, looking back that seems to be a recurring theme !

LAX to LHR, Polar Route, approaching the Canadian border we heard this ( edited ) ... a/c XXX cleared as filed, maintain 350, omit position reports and at time 35 contact Salt Lake Centre on 133.5. a/c acknowledged. Shortly after - XXX you still with me - Yup. You bound for Vegas ? - Yup. You a 10? (meaning DC-10 ) - Yup. Didn't know your outfit flew 10's - Do now. Waal, I guess your passengers need a DC-10 to carry home all their winnings? - Nope,our passengers can carry home all their winnings in a Cessna 152 !

( I got an AvWeb hat for that, as they published it in their Short Final section ! my 15 minutes of fame !! )

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 9th Feb 2014 at 01:25.