PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TIGER AIR PILOT strike notice
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 10:09
Ned Gerblansky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done!

I think everyone needs to take 3 deep breaths, and look at the legal perspective.

If you are rostered for mind-numbing shifts that leave you in a perpetual state of jet-lag, unable to enjoy your time-off, this leads to chronic fatigue which physically and psychologically debilitates you. The long-term effects of the low-cost carrier on medical health are being questioned at present, and most LCCs will not allow leave to be taken when the pilot feels the need to take it. You become a slave, with only the medical system to alleviate your conditions.

This is clearly un-acceptable. Were I a CEO, I would find the chief rostering clerk and double their salary, on the proviso that they never publish a roster that they (or I) would not be happy doing. That would be 10 rupees a day in India!

Companies have done round-the-clock opetations for centuries (e.g. the Royal Navy) but they limit the hours between midnight and 6 a.m., which is when the human body needs sleep. Under CAO 82, the Chief Pilot is responsible for rostering, but this can be delegated. CASA is responsible for the overview, and may make changes to flight and duty requirements as required to ensure safety. When have they ever done this? Normally a CASA rep approves more slavery, then takes a job as, I dunno, "Head of Safety" perhaps, with the slave-owners!

We have learned so much about aviation medicine since 1945, but LCCs disregard all that. Captain and F/O meals are supposed to be prepared in different kitchens, but not now if it saves $4. How many instances of crew incapacitation have there been? I had one myself, and my mate had DUAL incapacitation, only able to recover the aircraft when his appendix burst - and he was the F/O!

Finally, there are always the 89'rs that say "don't make waves!". This bowl of crap that we have to eat today is thanks to you lot! Fancy going on strike over Xmas (alienating the public), standing up against Bob Hawke who had an approval rating of 75%, when the industrial accord was for no more than 6% pay increases because interest rates were 18% and people were losing their houses. The companies offered you 15%, but you wanted 29%. When the courts ordered you to return to work, you defied it, and resigned en-masse, answerable to nobody. The Mt. Macedon farmers went into retirement, the F/Os got the stick, and regretted it ever since.

Make waves guys! It's not hard to do decent rosters, 'coz I've done it for a regional airline. Don't accept second best, you are the buck-stop. An ATC friend of mine used to say, "It's simple, when YOU screw up you die. When I screw-up, YOU die."

If your legal action is protected by the courts, go for it - but get a good information campaign to the travelling public. You need them on your side if you're going to win.

Ned