PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cherokee or Tecnam?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 09:50
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost right Groundbased. The Rotax is about the same power as the C150’s 0-200 but the P2002 is perhaps 150 kg lighter. The C152 is a bit more powerful but a bit heavier than the C150. in the end, you do end up with better power to weight on the Tecnam, and that's where the considerably better climb mainly comes from (no magic!). I also agree that it's the higher power to weight on take-off and the resultant need for right rudder that catches many unawares. The aircraft is not short on rudder authority, as you see from the 22kt demonstrated crosswind.

A trick I've learned is that if the crosswind is really howling across the strip, and if you realistically have a choice of takeoff or landing direction, put the crosswind on the right. You keep the absolute maximum rudder authority right up to crosswind speeds at which you probably shouldn't fly anyway.

If you want to experiment for yourself and build confidence, ask your instructor to do a takeoff with a maximum-strength left crosswind. If you add in a short strip, I believe it's one of the more challenging bits of P2002 handling.

One short strips, I agree with EDMJ that the Hoffmann prop looks chunkily coarse, and no doubt that's where the decent cruise speed comes from. But we've been having some very hot weather here lately and flying the P2002 alongside C152s and C172s reminds me of the much shorter Tecnam takeoff distance. But yes, you can find LSAs with a shorter roll still.

Last edited by tecman; 5th Feb 2014 at 11:58.