PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Torres Strait Air the new Barrier?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 08:47
Kestrel Aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening All,

Time to put a few rumours and misconceptions to bed, right now, before this all gets out of hand. The AOC has not yet been printed, yet the slagging has started.

I am the nominated Chief Pilot of Torres Strait Air.

Pilochute,

We have advertised without any great minimums for a few reasons.
If you had 4000 TT, 3000 ME, 6 CIR renewals, etc., would you be applying for a Horn island BN2 position? We prefer to train our pilots the way we want them to operate, not how they have been operating for a number of years. Indeed this is the new normal.

ChaseIt,

Many thanks for your kind words. It is definitely going to be a very tidy operation. As many will be aware, Torres Strait operations have historically been difficult for many and varied reasons. We aim to start out on the front foot, and maintain a very high standard into the future.

Led by an experienced management team, Torres Strait Air offer a friendly and supportive workplace with a focus on quality training and embedded quality and safety systems. There is a strong focus on promoting a just culture and a continuous process of improvement. In return, we expect all aircrew to display a very high standard of safety and operational excellence.

Airwolf117,

Time to get some new contacts in the Straits; do you know who the owners of Torres Strait Air are? Definitely not Aerotropics; didn’t they close shop many years ago? Indeed, no one wants a shonky operator. When I agreed to join this company it was with a firm commitment that things would be done to a standard that will pass any scrutiny, including CASA. The buck stops with the Chief Pilot.

Rich-Fine-Green

Many thanks for your kind words. We are definitely 'Having a go' and do not intend to rely on luck.

This is the only correspondence I will enter into. I have no intent to continue in a to-and-fro with all and sundry; please check back in 12 months to see the writing on the wall.

Signed,
Paul Hughes
Chief Pilot (Nominated)
Torres Strait Air Pty Ltd

Last edited by Kestrel Aviation; 4th Feb 2014 at 09:48.