PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Hours After Cadetship?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 06:31
dhavillandpilot

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Think of the past 1970's & 80's.

In those days there was a vibrant General Aviation sector. Young pilots progressed up the GA ladder until the went to the airlines. The exception to this was those entering Airlines from the military.

In both cases they started at the bottom and climbed the ladder towards command on an Airliner.

What do we have now? A General Aviation sector that has been emasculated by an indifferent set of Governments and a regulator that positively hates General Aviation.

If the Australian Airlines supported General Aviation then they would have a source of quality pilots who have HAD EXPERIENCE.

I have a friend who is a regular contributor here who was a cadet with Qantas was seconded to Maslings on Queenairs. The result was he became a pilot who could take command decisions because he had experienced all those cold winter nights in a B65 without deice.

In all the time I have been in the Industry the one fact I can be proud of is the number of pilots who have flown my aircraft who are now senior captains. All of whom I am happy to put myself and my family on their flights.

Perhaps the GA industry should lobby our Airlines to assist. But hey with the Like of a small Irishman in control what chance would there be!!!!!!!!!!