PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pilots must nude up to eat and drink.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 05:39
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helen

You're right, I haven't stood at the front line, neither have 95% of EK pilots I'd imagine. My own Grandfather served in the Home guard during WW2. He died when a house he was evacuating in Stretford, Manchester was hit by a second bomb. My own father was 4 at the time and witnessed this with his late mum at his side. He's never forgotten it and neither have I. My father went on to serve for many years in the RN.

I wear a poppy when I can, just not on my EK uniform. UK Airlines permit them, here it"s different. I have seen guys wear them and good for them. When I heard a pilot from the US asking what one was, I realised that what's important and tradition for some may be irrelevant to others. I totally agree that the person behind the uniform is more important but uniform regulations are there for a reason. Where does it stop? A pink carnation to remember the innocent children killed in Syria, a little green Shamrock to support the IRA, especially if you're from Boston or an ANC flag maybe? We all know there are people who push boundaries when given even a modicum of leniency or discretion. Company policy removes that ambiguity.

You've taken this thread to an extreme with your post and using the emotive argument of war to justify wearing a non authorised accessory to work. It is perhaps yourself who should be ashamed.

Out of respect for the millions who've died throughout the two great wars and ongoing conflicts I will no longer continue with this discussion. Experience on these threads has taught me it's only likely to go one way.

Harry