PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway turnoff
Thread: Runway turnoff
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 18:13
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the sensible way of doing it Chevvron.

I have had the argument after being told exit via .....

Then not managing it due to line training an new FO and then phone the tower. Couldn't be bother arguing about it to be honest and just said file and let the authorities sort it out. After 4 more phone calls all with the same reply the SATCO gave up and never heard anything from the authorities.

When we start getting a discount for only using the first quarter of the runway I will start slamming the brakes on. Until then I will use what I need to safely. If they have fired a heavy up our backside its their problem not ours.

If anything happens and we go off road, blow a tyre, or anything else that goes on my record for the rest of my flying career its me that has to live with it.

Land, slow to sensible speed then take the next exit is my policy then stop after clear of the runway until instructed to move unless told to vacate further up the runway. You can say expedite as much as you like I am always going as fast as is safe until I am clear, its really not going to make me speed up. In fact I really don't know any pilot that would speed up anyway. As a FO the most common phrase when asked to expedite to clear the runway by the skipper was " em". And every command course I have seen and given has instructions to Captains to ignore ATC pressure to taxi faster than they feel safe.