PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS advert for pilot with 650 I/F hours minimum
Old 30th Jan 2014, 22:06
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'A37' I can see where yr coming from but the two jobs here single pilot in a demanding role (RFDS) compared to multi pilot role mostly going from ILS to ILS in a protected & known environment (RPT) are a lot different.
There's very little actual inst flying by hand in a large jet in fact most Co's don't want you to touch the bloody thing where as out there in an RFDS typical mission in pitch black conditions in at times awful weather maneuvering in a black hole circuit after having done an NDB let down with someone screaming their heads off just behind you in the cabin terrified makes for a slightly diff level of awareness needed by the pilot, the only pilot I might add & this is where the RFDS require such high mins even if they are open to abuse & as I mentioned a Sim ride or check flight in actual conditions will show those up that have 'Parker Penned' their way there:-)

That old Beech Sim even if the examiner is reasonable can be a real hand full if the candidate isn't up to speed with good basic IFR skills/scans & don't forget yr on yr own in that black cave where as in a level D there's two of you with healthy procedures in place looking after each other as you would do day to day out on the line to deal with pretty much everything they throw at you & also with that level of automation as well as the training you receive it's really not a good comparison in my mind but each to their own I guess

Imagine doing all that in a SE plane? Those guys are either nuts or hero's!

Wmk2