PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1979 Western Airlines 2605 information?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2014, 13:29
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I have read the scans you posted, IGh.

Spooky, if you read Pg106_high_Lts.png scanned from the Circular and provided by IGh, on 1.10.1 it states that the approach was made with ILS from 23L with a "change-over" to 23R (this is also referred to as "transition" on 112.png). This must have been briefed as other aircraft used the same approach into the airport (see 115and6.png)

There is no mention of any CRM issues at all. No mention of any animosity on the flight deck. And, as IGh says, one gets the impression that it is the Capt who is PF. The short CVR snippet on that TV show also gives that impression. Thus, it would be extremely interesting to find the ALPA submission on this. I have tried Google but to no avail. Their archive goes back only to 2001 (at least for non-members) it seems.

Some things got clearer from this report. The runway lights on 23R were working. Lights on 23L were not. It was sunset but not dark. To land on 23R one had to make a "change-over" or "transition" from the ILS in 23L. The crew were on the right track when about 1000 feet above the runway but drifted left and descended into fog - not clear in which order that happened though. They did ignore minima and no call-outs were made. The aircraft landed with one pair of landing gears on 23L and one pair on the grass beside it. They might have seen a truck before executing the go-around but they struck the truck and ripped off the landing gear, then wobbled away and hit another vehicle and consequently never regained control as they scraped the ground into a building.

Very interesting chain of events. I would like to see a CVR transcript. Oh geez, I'm so nerdy. Sorry about that folks. You have been an immense help to me and I really appreciate that!