PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1979 Western Airlines 2605 information?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 00:51
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IGh

I haven't had time to read the whole Circular, but I downloaded all scans, and hope to get some free time tomorrow. I browsed the pages briefly and didn't see any emphasis on crew work time, but that might very well be because of my short glance at the documents.

It is nice to have some real information at last, not relying on gossip, rumours and fairy tales.

Although... it is not unheard of that accident investigations, or results thereof, has been manipulated - knowingly or unknowingly - to suit someone's needs. This was, I believe, more prevalent during the 1970's than during other times. The major things that I come to think of are the infamous DC-10 cargo doors. TWA841 is another incident that my gut feeling says has not been thoroughly investigated.

Sadly the cargo door story should repeat itself. United811. I can't believe that those in charge didn't listen to the engineers and learn the lessons from the DC-10. It is totally incomprehensible.

Ouch. Sorry about thread drift now. Back on topic.

Yes, that ILS thing is peculiar. Rumours has it that they had nothing at all for the open runway so all pilots were told to sidestep from the glideslope at a certain point so they would land on the open runway. I can understand such a procedure when done in nice weather with lots of visibility, but to use that as a standard procedure for instrument flights, during nights or in low visibility is indeed... unusual.

Thankyou IGh for your efforts.