PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1979 Western Airlines 2605 information?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2014, 19:55
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IGh

You are most helpful, I really appreciate that! Thankyou. Now I know where to look for further information, though maybe a bit gossip-y... ;-D

I will check with the library if they have access to any of the publications you mention.

That YouTube video was one of two things (the other was the NTSB paper) that confirmed to me that this crash actually had taken place. It is really scary, hearing those last 2-3 seconds.

Since it was a Mexican investigation, maybe they weren't so particular regarding publication of CVR sounds. This also implies that the report must be very hard to access, if it still exists even. Or am I just being a common turd for assuming that?

I wish I could get a copy of that TV program you mention, IGh. My web research concluded that there is such a program, but all links to it has gone all 404 on me.

And, yes, IGh, I know it is kind of lame to use the web as only source of information... but as this is a private interest (my professional life is more about materials, design, hardware, such things) I prefer to check out things on the web first. Usually that is sufficient, but in this case it proved to be a very disappointing source. Especially as I had no leads at all about where to look. That's why I asked here, and thanks to all you kind people I hope I find more information as to what really happened.

CRM is an intriguing and interesting field. Especially with so much gossip about this crash, some examples of gossip provided here for clarification:

"Capt didn't like FO so FO wanted to embarrass Capt because FO knew that they were landing on the wrong runway but didn't want to tell Capt so Capt would end up on the wrong runway and a spiteful FO could say "see everyone makes mistakes!"."

"No signs of disrespect between Capt and FO. FO tells Capt several times they are on the wrong track but Capt does nothing."

"Capt knew they were on the wrong track but for some reason couldn't change course."

"There was fog."

"There was no fog but it was too dark to see anything."

"It was not too dark but lights for 23L were lit while 23R was unlit."

"There were no lights and ATC is to blame."

"ATC did everything by the book."

"Western used to land at 23L even though it was closed."

"Capt was worried about landing because it was tricky."

"Capt had landed there hundreds of times - no biggie for him!"

And so on....