PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2014, 08:59
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loads of "untapped" opportunities on the RYR network alone !

Look at the Dublin route network.

Manchester is approximately the same in terms of size of demographics, population, inbound immigration opportunities, GDP , inbound tourism etc

Deduct off routes served by RYR AND other carries Ex MAN and there are still opportunities, if they work from DUB surely they would also work Ex Man ?

And what of other UK departure points ?

In Germany Berlin served from EMA but not MAN. Whilst LH serve MAN well and you can connect via say FRA there has to be scope for a direct flight.

In France La Rochelle, served from EMA but what about MAN a pretty meagre 2 weekly Flybe over a paltry 6 week season !

In Austria Salzburg is amazingly popular both as a ski and City in its own right and should be a year round 3/4 weekly not just a once weekly ski charter or IT destination.

Bratislava, Carcasonne, Dinard etc etc all currently served OR new routes from places like Edinburgh, Bristol, Bournemouth.

If they work from there then surely they would work Ex Manchester ?

I have deliberately excluded STN as clearly there is the some inbound market to London that distorts matters but there still some very obscure destination on their network that "might work" Bremen, Berne Linz ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 'cake' is the same size syndrome. But is it ?

Still have people in our office (Chester) traveling from LGW to Dubai with not but a clue that Manchester exists ...and incredibly they drove !

Have said before it seems reasonable to me that the long haul market for Manchester is anywhere within 45mins to an hour North Of Birmingham over to South Yorkshire.

It's still a massive market but MAN is up against local high frequency connections to AMS from Humberside /LBA and now LHR in the latters case.

That said if Manchester could galvanise support as it did with Gil Thompson from MPs, media etc as thee exit/entry point for long haul travel in The North ....that could possibly make a significant difference to destinations and most crucially frequency.

Is that where EK score ? miss one and another comes along, miss that and there is still another.

Unfortunately for MAN those AMS/LHR connections and indeed local pride work against it !

The Yorkshire Post would i'm sure rather broadcast that they have a thrice daily connection to LHR than implore people to drive over to Manchester !

It is simply not seen as the major airport "For The North" as it was in the 80s.

That said I do take some solace when a South Yorkshire MP (Holmfirth) stands up and suggests his "local airport" is Manchester, and then states "why on earth did it not get a mention by the Davies Commission".

Yes I know the Commission (despite its title) was all bout LHR, BUT making a few sensible arguments supporting "Manchester For The North" and the resultant publicity that we actually have an airport "up here" would have been invaluable !

And so we come full circle, Manchester despite a substantial network simply does not have that public perception of a major gateway !

We do bloody well despite everything...but could do better !

PS yes forgot Berlin Ringwayman

Last edited by Bagso; 25th Jan 2014 at 09:33.