PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stinson Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 07:03
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, quite a lot.

I part owned an S108-2 for half a dozen years, about 120hrs on type, including some instructing.

Fire away with your questions, but quick summary:-

- About 780lb useable payload
- Handling is 90% excellent, few gotchas. The two main gotchas are too much directional stability and not really enough rudder power on take-off (compounded by brake mechanisation that automatically leads in brakes as full rudder is reached), and it's much too easy to inadvertently bleed speed off in climb out.
- Checkouts should put the checkee in the right hand seat first, as there are no brakes there!
- Good view out, except behind or up
- Needs around 600m runway for departure, about half that for arrival
- Most airframe and engine components can be sourced
- Franklin engine expertise is very hard to find (the reason we eventually sold ours)
- Utterly beautiful flying machine, that turns heads everywhere.
- 95kn cruise, burning about 40 litres/hr. Yes 40, the Franklin 6A4 is a thirsty engine.
- Fantastic cockpit ergonomics - but non-standard. Once you've got the hang of it, very hard to make mistakes.
- A little bit light in roll for routine flight IMC, but okayish. Similarly the standard panel layout isn't brilliant for instrument scan.
- Mediocre cockpit lighting for night flying, but good enough.
- Don't let the battery get flat, as to reach it you have to remove the pilots seat, which is a pain in the proverbial.
- Does seem to make pax airsick slightly more often than most things I fly.

Anything specific, just ask. I have a lot of notes I can email you, if you want them, PM me your email address.

G