PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2014, 16:09
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touching slightly on the above discussion, the shock decision by BA World Cargo to pull the plug on its STN-based Global Supply Systems operation is clearly bad news for STN (and MAG). GSS, the joint-venture cargo airline run by BA and Atlas Air, operates 3 x B747-8F. Operations are planned to cease in April.

In place of GSS, BA is reported to be concluding a major deal with Qatar Airways for cargo space. Whilst some dedicated freighter services (to London) are anticipated, I wonder whether underfloor capacity on ex-UK passenger flights could be involved also? Do the MAN flights have much spare freight capacity anyway? Something to keep an eye on.

Meanwhile, this news is another unwelcome headache for MAG at STN as one of the few major operators aside from Ryanair makes its exit.

Speaking of MAG profits (and financial liabilities), we often enjoy discussions on this board relating to investment in terminal expansion and the relative benefits of the different options for enhancing T1 / T2 / T3. The problem is I sense no urgency from MAG to invest in upgrading any of the three terminals aside from minor cosmetic updates and essential upkeep. Can anybody reassure me that developing the old flagship airport has not been shelved indefinitely by the STN-obsessed MAG suits? We hear all about the joint-venture off-airport office space projects (Airport City), but what about the core airport terminal infrastructure? Aside from fondly-remembered old plans gathering dust in the MAG bookcase, anything doing?