PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hold at DESDI/BUBIN but then short cut arrival?!
Old 20th Jan 2014, 10:50
Voodoo 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold at DESDI/BUBIN but then short cut arrival?!

Far more often than not over recent weeks, months even, when asked to route to Desdi or Bubin and take up the hold, why is it that when handed over to approach on 124.9 do they almost always short cut the arrival from around Girgo (30R/L). You have to base your diversion fuel on flying the whole arrival. If sent to the hold I can not shortcut the arrival because of what usually happens to give me more fuel to hold because possibly ATC may ask to fly the whole arrival and then it could lead to a very uncomfortable situation.

So the question is, why do aircraft have to hold if DXB atc do not use the whole arrival procedure? Surely if the whole STAR is not full then there is no reason to hold? I think I recall that UAE now has this fancy arrival computer system so why do we have to hold when we often get shortcuts, can't we just follow the looooooooong arrival instead?

If no holding then I will expect at the most to fly the whole procedure and if not busy then a nice shortcut around girgo, happy days!

Also while I'm here, why are the shortcut arrivals not being used? It would kinda make more sense if being sent to the hold and then expect a shorter procedure as opposed to holding, expecting and planning for the longer trombone one and then getting a shortcut in the end which you can not forecast while going round in circles?!

Thanks all.