PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stepping down gracefully....
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2014, 00:42
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radgirl

But still that beggars the question of what is considered old ? The airlines require one of the crew needs to be less than 60 if one is over 60 and 65 is the line!
Obviously we all age differently depending on a number of factors genetics being one but on average what age do we consider a pilot to be old?
Even what would be determined as senility by a layman in an older person could be stress, problems at home or even medication! Being scatty, vacant away with the fairies is not just displayed in older people but young ones too and stress induced!
I had big concerns over a pilot friend who was 70 and became forgetful very quickly he then returned to normal blaming statins he had started taking!
Really we come back to medical sand medical diagnosis and not an untrained opinion given by one individual pilot colleague!
On top of that some basic reaction problem solving tests over 70 might help
I would also like to know what statistical evidence backs the age limits imposed on commercial pilots and whether these limits are based on demonstrated threat to safety or perceived threat ?

Pace