PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Campfire
Thread: The Campfire
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2003, 09:40
flyboy6876

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feet are up, pipe is stoked and snertjie is poured - all ready for some chat.

Reading in the news yesterday that some lawyer in SA and in the US has brought suit against Anglo American and De Beers for exploiting their workers during the apartheid era ($6.1 billion) and also against Fluor for doing the same on the Sasol project and also for quelling a riot where workers were killed ($1billion). This appears to have come about because of the T&R report.

Funny thing was I was actually working at Sasol during that riot and as far as I can recall, the only people killed were killed by rioters, so thats going to be an interesting point to fight.

However, heard on the radio that Anglo American are currently spending about $8/ounce of gold mined to assist 40000 odd workers with HIV.

Now, just wanted you folks thoughts on all of this. Seems to me that it is a publicity stunt, and I don't know if they have much chance of winning, except the holocaust thing suggests that this is a possibility. The thought crossed my mind was, how would they find all these workers to get the money to them, given that they come from all over the place and we are talking at a minimum at least 10 years ago?