PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C208 Crash Hawaii
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2014, 22:26
hoggsnortrupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing:

lilflyboy262...2So where is it safe to operate a single engine plane? Only over wide open plains or within gliding distances of airfields?)

1st: They single engine Turbine has its place:

A- Private operations where ever you want to go:
B-Commercial passenger ops, Anywhere an engine out is not going to get you wet, or put you into hills:
C- As for commercial viability, have a look at the increase in regulatory operator compliance and associated costs over the last 20 years? it hasnt made things any safer in my opinion, and I guess we dont have the amount of scud running accidents of yesteryear, but the cost to the operator has increased very substantially indeed:
D- with regard to C above, in my opinion, based on my experience, the quality of maintenance has not improved, but the compliance box ticking has:

Now! the modern jet/ turbine engines are bloody reliable, no question:

1-Lilflyboy262...2 Can you tell me what an engine failure is? and! Have you ever had an engine failure? I have:

Over the years I have had one Thrust failure on a piston Tri-engine type,
Two Thrust failures on twin PT-6 equipment, and one engine fire and shutdown on PT-6 equipment:

So: without any doubt what so ever, despite the reliability of todays turbine engines, Failures do occur:

You have the choice as to where you wish to be when the noise stops:

Now back to my question: this is for Lilflyboy262...2, (so please play along folks) what is an engine failure?

HR: