PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did YOU make it to be a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2014, 13:37
pilotfromsheff13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did YOU make it to be a pilot?

Hi everyone!

A little bit about me: I'm a 19 year old Aerospace Engineering student in my 1st year of University from the UK and have a plan I have put together to become a commercial airline pilot in the future (nothing wrong with having a plan, right?)

As we all know the economic climate is quite frankly shocking at the moment which results to not many commercial pilot jobs on offer - nor scholarships/reasonable loans to complete your training. I have been told that by the time I finish University and are ready to apply for an engineer job in 4-5 years time the economic climate should have picked up by then which means more jobs should be available.

After graduation and working as an aero engineer, I should have some money to put aside each month to fund my training (the modular route) over a few years to get my ratings and licences' needed for a budget of around £50,000 if I play my cards right (even if it means not having a car and still living with the parents for a few years to save maximum money!)

What I really want to know is, how much did it cost you guys to complete your training overall, modular/integrated, what advice could you give to anybody who reads this thread over the next few years when thinking about committing to their training? what plan did you put together to make it to be a pilot?

Many thanks in advance - I appreciate all your advice!