PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flood aid to the civil community
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2014, 19:09
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
From my experience with firends in the Rescue Helo world, their reaction to any call out was always, "this is what we're here for. And every rescue is excellent training as well as saving lives." No problem on that front.

But now it may be a matter of managing expectations. When it's civvi, things may be different. For the rescue of civvies and mil folk...

"RAF Marham here. We have a crew that's ejected into the North Sea. We need a rescue helicopter to recover them asap."

"Good evening, Sir. Your call is important to us, please hold while I connect you to the next avaiable operator."

<The first 4 minutes of Motzart's 40th plays> interspersed with promotions for SERCO Rescue Insurance, GlobalNet Personal Location Beacons and the new iPhone QuickDial Recovery System.

"Good evening, SERCO Rescue Services, how may I help you."

"Er, we have two aircrew in the North Sea."

"Thank you, Sir, is that in the Southern, Central or Northern Sector?"

"What are the boundaries"

"All that information is available on our website at www.winchyouout.com."

"I'll give your their position on lat and long."

"I'm sorry, Sir, what did you say?"

"I'll give you their position."

"I need to know which sector they're in."

"I don't know which sector, but I can give you their exact location. We're talking to the crew on the PLBs."

"We don't have that address, Sir. Which sector.."

"Look, I need you to launch a helicopter to rescue them and I can tell you exactly where to go."

"There's no need to take that tone, Sir. What sort of helicopter do you require? Is it for cargo lift, passengers or emergency transfer."

"What? The crew of a Tornado has ejected into the North Sea and we need you to recover them!"

"Oh, I see, Sir. Thank you. Have you pre-notified this operation?"

"What?"

"Did you complete a ER2134 prior to this event?"

"How could I. We didn't know this was going to happen."

"Ah, I see. So you haven't pre-arranged this. Do you have an account with us?"

"How could I have.. Look, I JUST NEED A H E L I C O P T E R."

"Certainly, Sir. What model do you require? You will find a comprehensive list of models available for hire on our website at..."

"A rescue helicopter, NOW!"

"What is you account number."

"I don't know. I am OC Marham and my crew needs to be rescued."

"Sir, if you are not the account holder, I'm afraid I can't discuss this with you. Is the account holder there?"

"They will die if you don't recover them now."

"Sir, SERCO Rescue cannot accept liability for loss of life or personal property in these circumstances."

"Can I have a helicopter or not?"

"We offer a wide range of heli.."

"Sod you. I'll call the Coast Guard."

"Thank you for your call this evening. If we can interest you in any of our other products, plea..."

Last edited by Courtney Mil; 8th Jan 2014 at 18:07.