PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger down off Straddie
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 20:38
CHAIRMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An extremely unfortunate accident. I know all posters here feel for the pilot and passenger involved - a very sad departure of very young lives.
Thanks to ATSB for a quick prelim report gained from the go pro evidence. Let's hope that evidence can be expanded on as soon as possible to give us an understanding of the cause of the structural failure of the wing.
As a tiger owner and friend of many other owners I can say unequivocally that we maintain our machines to what we believe is the highest standard. We accept that these are old machines and that expert knowledge is required to maintain them - that knowledge does still exist and as far as I know we all access that pool.
That such a robust, albeit old, aircraft can fail in this fashion is a concern. That there has been only 2 structural failures in the past 40 or so years, although somewhat comforting, does not lessen that concern.
Then again, many spam cans have also failed unexpectedly.
I am sure that all DH 82 owners are on double the lookout during future maintenance until the ultimate cause of this structural failure is determined.