PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUNDEE
Thread: DUNDEE
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2013, 15:27
bad bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porrohman, I was wondering about the possibilities of extending the runway,but, CAP168 suggests that once the runway exceeds 1200m the distance from the runway centre line to taxiway centreline has to be increased from 87 m to 160 ish m and that is a greater distance than is available between the terminal and the runway.
Basically it appears that the runway is too short and if lengthened the airport land area will be too small to allow the upgrade and the runway remains too narrow for normal 737/320 ops, even if the whole runway was strengthened to PCN 55.

The way I see it, the airport would need to move the terminal to the west end and displace the existing industry , lay whole new runway (wiping out the playing fields), new taxi way, new parking apron big enough to accommodate 3-4 737s and an ILS for 28 with approach lighting if it were to succeed. It would also need a couple of Runway End Safety Areas or some kind of arrester surface. Im not sure what effect the active danger area 7 miles east has on the likelihood of getting a second ILS nor if there are obstacles that might prevent it.

I can't help thinking that a luxury coach service to Edinburgh airport would be more cost effective for the 3 dozen passenger that the existing flights cary

bb