PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Medals
Thread: Gulf Medals
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2003, 17:29
swinging monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

I regret to say that I am still waiting for my Gulf War 1 medal. During the said 'punch up' I flew NATO E-3As from GK, out of Antalya and Konya in support of the Op (NATO name 'Anchor Guard')
Despite 'qualifying as per the DCI/GAI we were informed (unofficially of course) that it was 'politically unacceptable' to admit that UK aircrew were flying on NATO missions, and therefore we were NOT entitled.
How pathetic, sad and disgraceful, particularly in view of what the E-3D boys do - virtually all NATO sorties. I have raised the said issue time and time again, but come up against the usual brick wall. I have now raised it with the CAS, maybe he can pull a few strings - you never know!
I am not desperate for another medal, but it would have been nice to have had something to show the grand-kids when they grow up. And indeed, because I think we all deserved it. Every other nationality from the E-3As got their individual national medal - all except that is, the Brits. Shame on you RAF hierarchy.

Rant over, back to bed!! Night Night
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, is it too early for a Scotch? ....it's NEVER too early for a Scotch Sir!'