PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Country - Flying High
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 16:15
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Bob, it gets down to an issue of trust. To wit: Do you trust your aircraft to get you to Point B? Most helicopter pilots don’t. Either consciously or sub-consciously, many helicopter pilots have a nagging feeling of dread that a catastrophic failure of some sort will occur which will require them to be on the ground RIGHTFRIGGIN’ NOW! And so they fly low, as SASless notes. They don’t want to be “way up there” when Something Bad happens.

I’m no Sigmund Freud, but I think I know why. Most helicopter pilots are pretty untrustworthy people. There, I said it. And it’s true. If you’ve met many of them you can vouch for this on your own. You can’t trust a helicopter pilot to tell you the time of day, unfortunately. Some will vehemently pretend to deny this, but again, stick around this industry for a while and you’ll see what I mean.

Hand and hand with this personality “quirk” is the fact that most helicopter pilots don’t trust anything or anybody. This lack of trust explains why so many helicopter pilots are fearful, paranoid atheists. (Want to know how paranoid a helicopter pilot is? Just ask him about politics - then stand back!)

Helicopter pilots feel that they are absolutely in charge of their own destiny, and giving up even one small iota of that control is totally unacceptable and abhorrent. Helicopter pilots don’t trust the maintenance guys and they certainly don’t trust their machines, heavens no! Thus, that helpless feeling of being up high in a helicopter when the poop hits the fan is utterly intolerable; too much for them to bear.

They’ll rationalize it. They’ll worry, “What if you get a chip light?” Or, “What if you lose all your transmission oil?” Or, “What if the engine catches on fire?” Or, "What if the rotor blades fly off?" Because in their mind (either the front or back of their mind), every time they fly all of those things are imminent. They’ll tell you, “Oh, the scenery is so much better down low!” But that’s just a mask to hide their real fear. And yes, it’s fear.

Like you, I fly airplanes too. When I’m flying along up high in a single-engine airplane I sometimes wonder to myself, “Gee, what if the engine caught on fire? How fast could I get ‘er down before my feet burned off?” The answer to that could be troubling. But then I ask myself, “...And how likely is that to happen?” The answer is: Not very. So I relax and have myself a sandwich.

There are a number of emergencies that might cause a typical helicopter pilot to want to be on the ground pretty quickly. There’s always the dreaded chip-light (“LAND IMMEDIATELY!!!) that makes a lot of pilots panic. There are also a lot of spinny things (bearings and linkages and such) in our aircraft that can come askew. But aside from in-flight fire, the worst-case scenario is probably a total loss of transmission oil. Yikes! Does that ever happen??

Like a few of the guys on this board, I’ve been flying for a living for over 30 years and I’ve got a logbook full of hours, mostly in single-engine helicopters. And me, I fly high. It’s cooler up there, often smoother, and sometimes you can find a ripping tailwind. Plus, I like the view from altitude. If I were that distrustful of my equipment…if I were that paranoid…that afraid of Something Bad happening to my helicopter, I just could not fly it at all - not at any altitude! But see, I also have faith. Faith in the designers, faith in the builders, and faith in the maintainers. Without that faith, I doubt I could even climb into one of these crazy contraptions in the first place.

If the pilot with whom you are ferrying that helicopter is a “typical”helicopter pilot, I’ll bet that you’ll likely spend the whole trip dogging along down at 1,000’ agl. Or less. If that happens, you’ll know some other things about him too...perhaps things that you'd rather not know.

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 26th Dec 2013 at 10:49. Reason: Move off topic stuff