PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor Aviation Journalism
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2013, 20:32
Guptar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poor Aviation Journalism

Just bought a copy of Australian Aviation, the December 2013 issue. I haven't been a read for almost a year due to falling standards. I must add, that I had faithfully purchesed every copy since it was the Pacific Defence Reporter so that's something like 30 years as a loyal reader.

So I pay my $10 thinking it cant be that bad still. However, I have nearly choked on my coffee at Doug Mcdonalds column. "Shorter is Better".

Two little jems stand out.

"Flying higher to go further bred the 747SP in 1975. Capable of 8,300nm Qantas and Pan Am operated them from the US west coast to Sydney cruising at 45,000 feet...although making 50,000 feet on occasion"

I have heared of some SP's getting that high, but only on a crew only ferry.......but with pax???? I do stand to be corrected.

"Qantas flew a 747SP non stop from London to Sydney in 1989"

Now I know my eyes may not be that good but even I can recognize a 747-400 as apart from an SP. I watched that flight land.

Is this the standard of journalism to be expected of our national flagship aviation publication. Basic facts not even correct.