PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2013, 11:55
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever else happens at the airport, they really need to sort out taxiway A and the exits. It might not have much effect on capacity alone without the terminal alterations, but would save a lot of noise and fuel and reduce missed approaches. Sadly, I doubt the airport would be interested in the improvements from the safety and fuel efficiency perspective and will only carry them out if the rest of the capacity modifications are done. I doubt even the noise footprint issue of fewer missed approaches and more full-length departures with reduced thrust will interest them, just increased traffic.

A Tenerife run is sometime possible from the intersection in dry weather with high QNH and a light load, but in the winter with a good load, forget it. Some occasions the performance can be a bit tight on a 73-8. As for landing and making the intersections without back tracking, that can be challenging in the recent weather, where you carry a little extra speed for wind shear protection and are landing on a wet runway with cross winds rather than head winds. As a rule of thumb, you can make B on 26 if you pass C at 100kts or less, and A on 08 if you pass C at 110kts or less, but any faster and you need to brake heavily, and then the anti-skid starts hammering in the wet where the rubber deposits make it slippery, so you still often pass the exit, but with increased discomfort, sending the traffic behind you around. Personally, I think the planned positions for the new high speed exit are to close to the mid point - they should meet the runway centreline where A and B presently do, but no tighter or they will be a liability in wet weather.