PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Lisbon pilots announcing 5 days of strike
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 12:30
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhyByFlier
Trust me, from bitter experience, a pedestal is the last place I'd put several doctors that I have had the mis-fortune to run across!
The Access/Foundation routes to Medicine you quote aren't really representative of the mainstream route to medicine. (By coincidence, I know someone on one, who has a degree in Fine Art, go figure...). What I can say is that I have done entry exams/tests/interviews for several 'difficult to get into' airlines and there is no way in the world that they were as "academically " challenging as the requirements to get even an interview for somewhere like Imperial or Barts. Not by a country mile.

The argument that we will end up on Train Driver salaries isn't up to much either, see here
Trainee Train Driver - Pay And Conditions For UK Train Drivers

I know there are loads of PTF on a lot less, let alone TProp FO's, but the fact remains with luck and hard work, a command in a decent airline puts you way over this and in many cases closer to Junior Consultant Doctor pay.

The undoubted erosion of our pay is, IMHO, mainly due to oversupply of pilots, particularly those well heeled enough to take the P2F route and survive the first few years. Also, we are an independent minded lot and are often reluctant to join or participate in Union activities. If we were all 100% represented by our national unions, they would negotiate from a position of strength and things would not have got so out of hand.

Lastly, I don't think anyone on here thinks that a Pilots job is easy. I feel that I have well earned my salary after that 38kt xwind landing.
But there are very many occupations that are not easy for many reasons, that are remunerated much more modestly than our own.