PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems at Brindabella?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2013, 22:46
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's hoping the receivers show some compassion and a level of understanding
It's not really for the receivers to show compassion and understanding. When the creditors meet they will decide how the megre pickings are distributed. Considering the company didn't own the aircraft and the route licences have now been cancelled, there are bugger-all assets to sell to pay off the debts. Woodley & Co still own substantial assets in the UK of course

I really wish the AFAP would focus our money on the big issues, rather than try and bail out a few select individuals who have made bad financial decisions. Paying 30k for a Jetsteam endorsement? Seriously?
Slippery Pete & Captain Ahab - the pilot didn't pay for the endorsement, the pilot took out the loan and THE COMPANY made the payments. The pilot's salary was never reduced to pay the loan back and the obligation never fell on the pilot UNTIL HE RENEGGED ON HIS UNDERTAKING.

...or the company went bust, which was never in anyone's plans.

Yes we are all wiser now but the AFAP agreed to the scheme so it would be great if the AFAP can help the guys who felt the fear, stepped up, and were let down by Woodley & Co. What's the point of being a union member if the Union lets you fall into a hole and won't help you out of it?

Have a heart and put yourself in the shoes of the young pilots, jumping at a regional t/prop job at a time when industry consolidation means there are very few opportunities.

When I was in my 20's, even though the major players owned almost everything there were still individual organisations hiring pilots; I interviewed for Ansett mainline, Eastern, Qantas, Aeropelican, Hazeltons and Kendells in the space of about 6 months in 2000/01 (then Yanda, Country Connection & Ansett all fell over and flooded the market with experienced pilots, etc).

Today of those regionals there is only one left, plus Rex and VARA. Fewer opportunities and the Brindabellican merger then collapse takes out 2 more opportunities.

They took a risk - they backed themselves - it would be nice if we could all now back them too.

What do you say, Lawrie? Lennie? Simon?