PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2013, 22:02
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting comments from a "Cabinet spokesman",no less.

Not interested in the politics but this is precisely why I feel Manchester "could" and "should" have argued their case more vehemently.

BBC News - London draining life out of rest of country - Vince Cable

Of course the difference Government spokesman make in terms of soundbites rather than changes in actual policy (eg APD) may be marginal BUT if you never shout nobody will ever hear you !

In the initial part of the Howard enquiry MAN had good PR but sadly this ebbed away and ultimately sank without trace after the purchase of STN.

Even NWest MPs who in my view threw in some pretty loaded questions must have been staggered at the total inability by MAG spokesmen to capitalise !

My God they even held part of the enquiry IN Manchester itself !

The question has to be asked why did they throw in the towel ?

see recent CAPA analysis

Forget the gloss MAG may put on this, they have now been left with an airport they "thought" was going to be shoe in for a major hub, although again how actual Government policy would turn this into reality remains a mystery.

And anybody who thinks that the Australian investors bought into this deal based on the single courtship with RYR is deluding themselves.

With little movement at STN other than the juggernaut that is RYR but three long haul airlines committing to MAN you do wonder if they themselves might feel they backed the wrong horse missing a golden opportunity to exploit further ?