PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B748i or A380 order?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2013, 06:45
gennadius01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like CX took delivery of one of those PIP certification waiting 8Fs today. The commercial aviation blog over at Aviation Week had the following information:

The first Boeing 747-8F to be powered with the performance improvement package (PIP) version of the GEnx-2B67 has been delivered to Cathay Pacific from the manufacturer’s Everett site in Washington. The aircraft is the Hong Kong-based carrier’s 11th 747-8F.

The upgraded engine forms the core of a broader set of aerodynamic and structural improvements that have been introduced since the freighter and passenger versions of the aircraft first entered service in 2011 and 2012 respectively. “Together with the other improvements made since entry-into-service on the 747-8F at the end of 2011, the engine PIP bundles 1.8% with another 1.7% for a total of 3.5% (fuel burn),” says 747-8 chief project engineer Bruce Dickinson. In addition to drag reduction and improvements to the cruise efficiency of the wing, the empty weight of the 747-8 has been reduced by almost 8,000 lb, while payload-range capability has been boosted through a 12,000 lb. increase in maximum take-off weight. The GEnx-2B67 PIP incorporates an all-new low-pressure turbine, as well as compressor, combustor and turbine improvements derived from the second batch of upgrades (PIP II) devised for the GEnx-1B engine on the 787. GE provisionally expected a 1.6% fuel burn improvement but, based on positive test data, upped this to 1.8%. The package of upgrades was launched after pre-delivery flight tests revealed a fuel burn performance shortfall in excess of 2%.
Original blog post here.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I think these numbers have been discussed or mentioned before, but I don't know if all of them have been presented together as an improvement over the initial deliveries.

I was wondering however, is the change in empty weight and change in payload-range capability factored into the fuel burn numbers? Or are those independent elements that must be factored into overall performance of the aircraft as well?

Regardless, congratulations to Boeing and GE on getting the PIP out, and to Cathay for finally being able to take delivery of their PIP'd birds that have been sitting and waiting for the certification. Now it will be interesting to see the order that includes LN 1505, and to see how many more 8Fs are coming, and if there are any potential 8Is that may be tagging along. :-)