PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ratio of male to female?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2013, 04:40
alnina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taybird:

The viewing audience for QVC's Crafts and Hobbies show is predominantly female.
- THAT makes your generalisation true? They are all probably over 50, if not 70!! I dont believe you could extrapolate that to my age bracket, which is where your female career women are at. More to the point, what does baking have to do with why a person may or may not choose to become a pilot? In my home its not a hobby, its a bloody necessity. Sadly I suspect like most young men over early career age, most young women display more interest in drinking and facebook than cooking and quilting.

You are right in what you say about male and female brains being wired differently, I have no issue with that, there is good science to support it. My point was that you stated:

Add to this the single-minded determination required for many people to attain their PPL, which is a trait more commonly expressed in male brains
- I have never come across a study that shows men's brains are wired to be more determined or single-minded that women's. Unless you count the ability to sit at a computer console for days on end in order to win some gang/drug/car theft/war game, in which case given the majority of gamers are men, maybe there is evidence to support your statement...

In the end, while I am sure there are some great reasons more women don't pursue flying, being busy in the kitchen or knitting a jumper are highly unlikely to be major contributing factors. Nor is a woman's ability to single-mindedly pursue something to its conclusion. That men's brains tend to be more wired to logical thinking may have been a more valid assessment of why they make good pilots or why more men get through the process of becoming a pilot - but I don't know if the latter is even the case or if its just less women are interested in the first place?

As for dubble - was I just the recipient of a testosterone-fuelled little dummy spit? Whether I enjoy my day or not is not relevant to the topic. Your comment was factually incorrect, sexist and had no relevance to the topic of the thread and I simply pointed that out. Your response was childish, but that's your choice. My day has been great so far though, thanks for asking, I assume from your comments that yours hasn't.