PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATPL course
Thread: FAA ATPL course
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2013, 11:49
joprato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAA ATPL course

Hi everyone,

I know there are already plenty (possibly hundreds...) of threads talking about the ATP classes, studies, learning etc... But they all come with a great amount of answers that sooner or later just end up confusing me so much, so that is why i am starting yet a new thread about this

I am currently working in South East Asia and getting closer to ATP requirements. I have FAA CPL IR Multi but not my A320 type rating on it. My rating is on my ICAO CPL license.

I cannot do the ATPL here at the moment due to some DGCA restrictions restricting the issuance of licences to foreign pilots. So naturally is thought of doing the FAA ATPL.

So questions are:
- In order to get my FAA ATPL with A320 on it, do i need to make a full type rating or can i go for the ATP written test once i feel ready for it, then from there go to a simulator and do my check ride + oral exam ? Could it work this way ?

- I have read about the FAA FSDO (Flight Standard District Office) and it said something like this:

"A person who is applying for a U.S. rating or medical certificate on the basis of a foreign license must apply for that certificate at least 90 days before arriving at the designated FAA FSDO where the applicant intends to receive the U.S. certificate. This initial application step is the responsibility of the applicant.
The information you submit to the Airmen Certification Branch must include your:

name and date of birth

address where you wish to have the verification of the authenticity letter mailed

certificate number and ratings on the foreign license

country of issuance of your foreign license

location of the FAA Flight Standards District Office where you intend to apply for your U.S. certificate

statement that your foreign license is not under an order of suspension or revocation

Note: The Airmen Certification Branch would prefer to have a copy of the foreign license and medical certificate or endorsement included with all requests for verification of authenticity of the foreign license.
When we receive verification from the CAA, you will receive written notification that we forwarded a copy to the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) you designated in your request. The verification is valid for 6 calendar months. You may apply for a U.S. certificate at the designated FSDO during that period."

Does it mean that i could have my type rating "transfered" from my other license to FAA CPL ??
I am sure it is not that simple but if it works this way, it could probably save me lots of $$$$.

Hope it can be of use to someone else out there