PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems at Brindabella?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2013, 18:55
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCN set for the 24th...hang on they've already got one??

CAsA standard MO for this time of the year!! It is all in the timing...

News.com:
AVIATION authorities have grounded the fleet of a regional NSW airline after discovering it didn't follow correct maintenance procedures.
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) grounded four of Brindabella Airline's Jetstream aircraft in November and on Thursday ordered the company's remaining six planes pulled from service so they could be assessed.

Brindabella last month reported to CASA several planes had been "over run" for about a year, meaning they hadn't been checked or had parts replaced according to strict schedules set by manufacturers.

"That schedule of maintenance is designed to make sure that important maintenance is done at the right time, parts are replaced before they wear out and inspections are done on components and areas of the aircraft," CASA spokesman Peter Gibson told AAP.

Two of the aircraft initially taken for maintenance review have since been assessed by CASA and cleared to fly.

After the first series of inspections, CASA took a closer look at the fleet.
"That has led us to find there have been over runs in other maintenance requirements on other aircraft," Mr Gibson said.

A review of all maintenance during the past year will now be conducted by Brindabella, who must then demonstrate to CASA that their planes have been serviced according to schedule before being allowed in the air again.

"(We want) to make sure that everything in terms of maintenance that should have been done to those aircraft over the past 12 months has been done," Mr Gibson said.

Brindabella Airlines operates out of several regional areas including Moree, Narrabri, Tamworth and Newcastle, CASA said.
Maximum impact for maximum intimidation...hmm however this time around it would appear that the State Gov boys'n'gals have already trumped them...:
Brindabella issued a 'Show cause' notification

By Kelly Fuller
The service hasn't been acceptable, on the other side of it, there is probably not a lot of people lining up to come and fill the space.

The Nationals MP for Barwon, Kevin Humphries has revealed the NSW Government has issued a 'Show cause' notification for the troubled regional airline Brindabella.

For the last fortnight, delayed and cancelled flights have caused angst and anxiety for commuters in and out of Moree, Narrabri and Tamworth.
Commuters in Moree have created a facebook page to keep each other informed about changes to flights.

Mr Humphries said the airlines performance hasn't been acceptable.
"Clearly hasn't been good enough,
"Initially it did a good job, but it was clear two months ago they were over committing after taking on additional routes .... like the Tamworth to Brisbane .... and charter routes for mining companies into Narrabri."

He said the Department of Transport and the Minister has issued a 'Show Cause' notification to the airline.

" ... to explain why it should maintain its licenses and a second notification on a remediation program. This week the airlines task is the have the operation into Moree back to normal."

He said the contract could be revoked if the airline fails to meet the requirements of the 'Show Cause' notification, but he said the carrier could pull out with only a couple of weeks notice.

"I've probably been the most affected of anybody in terms of accessing regular service"

He also expressed disappointment in the tender process and a failure by the Department to consult further with the community before the contract was provided.

"The Minister is very well aware of my concerns over that process and I can guarantee it wouldn't happen again to me or anyone else"

Mr Humphries says initial due diligence was done on Brindabella's finances, but he is aware some of the airlines bills have not been paid in the region in relation to landing fees and fuel.

"This week is an operative point."

He said Nationals MLC, Rick Colless would be heading up a Regional Airline Inquiry.
You can listen to the Morning Shows interview with Kevin Humphires on SoundCloud.
I know..I know they can still do charter but their gravy train had officially ended, so pretty much a wet lettuce approach from the 'Untouchables'!

Addendum: From Ben - NSW regional Brindabella’s Jetstreams grounded by CASA

Last edited by Sarcs; 12th Dec 2013 at 19:48.