PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin or Emirates
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2003, 15:53
BigGeordie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

I'm in a similar position to EasyGlider but slightly higher up the seniority list at Virgin and married (no kids). I've already had my Emirates interview and am waiting for a course date but I haven't resigned from Virgin yet. So, I've been following all the Emirates bashing (and occasional praise) with a lot of interest. I too have been to Dubai on holiday several times but agree that living there is likely to be very different.

It seems to me that moving from Virgin to Emirates isn't going to transform your finances:- you aren't going to become a millionaire overnight and be able to retire by the time you're 40. But, I'm sick of ultra long haul, heavy crew flying and constantly battling for landings. I certainly don't want to be doing nothing but that for the next 20 years. Yes, I'm also sick of the English climate and taxes.

I'd probably get a command quicker if I stayed at Virgin but I'm taking a long term view. I'm sure the golden days at Emirates are over, just as they are at Cathay. And Virgin. But it's not just about the money, it's about the kind of flying you want to do and, dare I say it, lifestyle.

Finally, I know of a number of people who have left/are leaving Virgin to go to Emirates but I don't know of anybody who has gone the other way. That must mean something?

Waiting to be shot down by the vetrans of the UAE - be gentle with me, this is my first post!

EasyGlider- if you want to have a chat about the interview, send me a private message.