PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi - SP here, flare frsutration!
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2013, 11:01
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flarepilot
dear original poster

did you try my exercise of going down an escalator?
No, but I did follow your recommendation of buying stick and rudder, and I must concur that it is an excellent book so far.

Re the escalator, well those things are still dangerous at the moment. Knee is doing well, but still got issues. In fact its looking like I may have to go for more surgery, which sucks cause it will once again ground me from all my sports/hobbies.

But, here is the thing. I am a sailor and a motorcyclist. So I understand wind, and I understand the 'look where you are going' thing. But, do you think I can apply them subconsciously to flying like I do when sailing/riding? Nope...

So I got the round out/flare/hold off part working pretty well now. But, for the life of me I can't compensate for wind. Get this, I can put a boat on a trailer or pontoon when there is 30knots of crosswind and 5 knots of tide, but I cant convince myself to turn early (or late) on base to final to compensate for wind that I know is there!!! To add insult to injury, we fly over water, so I can see the wind too!