PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Engine Run-ups
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 06:44
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboyike
How much of a useful reply did you expect from people most of whom haven't done a run-up (fast ot slow) in years? I haven't done one since 2006. You, presumably, don't do any either, so what do you care "fast runups" are?

Your presumption is of course wrong. However, in the interest of the particular subject, I will give examples. I have done many runups in small piston aircraft over the years but ignoring that as this is an international airport in China we are talking about, I'll just talk turbines.

In the past 15 years, I have done quite a few engine runs on turboprops with Allison engines with coming out of maintenance ranging from several minutes to a half hour sustained run a couple of times. This could be after finding a bit of metal contamination or a valve housing replacement, etc.

On some PT-6 aircraft, it was procedure for autofeather check on the first flight of the day. I did several on JT-8D aircraft on delivery and pickup flights for C-checks. Things such as timing engine acceleration or for various other reasons. Even on an aircraft with the type of engine you operate, a PW-100, I did one for maintenance personnel after a fumes in cockpit situation we had. This was done to try to replicate the situation suspected to be from the air conditioning system.

On jets in winter ops we regularly do engine runs for 30 seconds prior to takeoff during ground icing conditions as per SOP as well, if we are on the ground for a significant period of time under such conditions. I have been on at least two types of jets where crossbleed starts were done which involves running up the operating engine to get the required duct pressure to start the other engine. Many airports specifically require you to ask ATC prior to doing this(and it is a good idea anywhere). As an interesting note, one time we cancelled a flight on a 737 as we did not want to do a crossbleed start on a slippery ramp during freezing rain.

My last engine run was in the last 30 days in snowy conditions on the runway prior to takeoff roll.

Because of this type of stuff, I have asked the question I asked.

And even if I had not done one in a long time such as yourself, I like to increase my knowledge. You should too.

Last edited by JammedStab; 13th Dec 2013 at 07:47.