PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saturday night thoughts.
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2013, 11:17
Cessna 180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Saturday night thoughts.

Was having a lengthy discussion with a friend of mine today about job requirements.

When one has a bare cpl, they need '200 series' time to get a job.
When that same person has a few hundred hours and they want a twin job they need 'twin time', then they want a job flying ifr they need 'ifr time'.

RFDS require 200 night hours, turbine operators require turbine/jet time.
Airlines require two crew time, it never ends.....

It got me thinking, where does it end?

Sometimes I think that experienced people forget that they were once in those shoes. Everybody has to start somewhere.

I'm sure everybody knows someone who is a good talker and who had none of the above and found their way in only to be discovered a few months down the track they are not that good at flying or not even a very nice person to be around.
Or conversly someone who had none of the above but knew the right people and was just given the chance to prove themselves given the right training and perhaps a bit of natural ability and hard work.

Also what about float pilots or survey pilots? Is it generally regarded that they are cowboys and even thought they may fly under the ifr that they are 'fairweather' ifr pilots and wont be able to cut it in real imc?

I wonder if anyone who has never been involved in the survey industry actually understand what is involved?
Regularly flying in busy airspace anywhere in Australia often at short notice to unfamiliar strips, anywhere from 50 ft agl to FL 250 with the mask on. Day or night.

Anyway, just wondering in this industry, where does it end?

Do people ever get a new job on a bigger machine and after the initial excitment is over think well I have finally made it and are content with what they have, or will everybody always be chasing the next big thing?