View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2003, 14:44
Gunship
GunsssR4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A FANTASTIC idea !!!

4HP, you should have been two ...

This is a great idea.

What I also pressume is : if somebody wants to start an Afrikaans or Swhalili / Xhosa whatever thread on it - he is welcome to do it ?

Fantastic - I renew my subscribtion

Have a look at www.voetsek.co.uk and www.marulatree.co.uk - both has Afrikaans sites on them where ONLY Afrikaans get spoken. Both went on trail and BOTH stuck as it was a hughe success. Not saying we must just have ONLY Afrikaans ... ok Bert ok .... wifey can teach you ...

Both also has an "open" section for blasting of all sorts, sex, toys, nature... TOURISM .... NEWS of the day ... all important things for any pilot !

GREAT Idea 4HP - go for it please.

While today is ... uhmm TODAY ...here is a good one 4 u

T A B L E M O U N T A I N : A N I S L A N D I N 30 Y E A R S !

Shock findings by the Institute for Global Warming and Sea Level Changes have revealed that much of the Cape Flats and the Fish Hoek valley will be submerged within 20 to 30 years as sea levels rise with global warming.

The report, which was leaked to the Cape Times, has been kept under wraps for fear of creating panic and causing havoc with property prices.

Compiled by leading international climate-change experts, the study says sea levels could rise as much as 3m worldwide in the next 20 to 30 years.

This will have devastating consequences for many low-lying countries. In Cape Town it would result in the flooding of the Cape Flats and turn Table Mountain and the southern section of the peninsula into an island.

Many residents in the northern suburbs will have seafront properties
The Fish Hoek-Noordhoek valley will also be partially submerged, connected by a small land bridge in the centre of the valley.

The Foreshore, Green Point, Mouille Point and Milnerton will be under water, as well as much of the Hout Bay valley, the Strand and Gordon's Bay.

Many residents in the northern suburbs will have seafront properties.

The report is expected to cause chaos in the real estate and insurance businesses.

On Monday the Cape Times established that several authorities were aware of the findings of the report and had commissioned confidential studies to plan for the inundation.

Robben Island, one of Cape Town's most historic landmarks, will be completely submerged
The Western Cape government is planning a series of workshops next year to inform the public about the sea level changes, and the predicted sea floodlines are expected to be published in the Government Gazette next year.

A spokesperson for the City of Cape Town said on Monday its planning department had commissioned an urgent study into the effects of the sea level changes on the metropolitan transport system.

"We're considering whether it is more feasible to build a channel linking Table Mountain to the mainland, similar to the one linking France and the UK, or whether a suspension bridge is a better option. Whichever is chosen it is expected that it will be a toll road and tariffs will be around R100 a one-way trip."

Nevil Gation from Portnet said the toll fees could be used to help finance a drawbridge so that ships could sail between Table Mountain and the mainland.

The city council will have to review the entire property rates and taxes system, Ann Plott, of the city's planning department, said on Monday.

Robben Island, one of Cape Town's most historic landmarks, will be completely submerged. The department of arts, science, technology and culture has commissioned a feasibility study to turn the site into a world-class scuba diving trail.

The good news is that rising sea levels will also create a change in wave patterns, resulting in Hout Bay, Bellville and Stellenbosch becoming some of the world's premier surfing spots. - Staff Writer

Editor's note: check the date on this story...

This article was originally published on page 1 of The Cape Times on 1 April 2003

Last edited by Gunship; 1st Apr 2003 at 21:26.